Import and processing of genetically modified cotton DAS-81910-7
- The present application (EFSA/GMO/NL/2016/136) concerns the authorisation for import and processing for use in feed and food of genetically modified (GM) cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) DAS-81910-7;
- GM cotton DAS-81910-7 expresses the pat and aad-12 genes, which confer tolerance to aryloxyalkanoate based (such as 2,4-D) or glufosinate-ammonium containing herbicides. In the Netherlands, cultivation of cotton is not possible and feral cotton populations do not occur;
- Wild relatives of cotton are not present in the Netherlands, so hybridisation with other species is not possible;The molecular characterisation of cotton DAS-81910-7 meets the criteria of COGEM;
- There are no indications that the introduced traits alter the fitness of cotton DAS-81910-7;
- There is no reason to assume that the introduced traits will allow GM cotton DAS-81910-7 to survive in the Dutch environment;
- COGEM is of the opinion that import and processing of cotton DAS-81910-7 poses a negligible risk to the environment in the Netherlands;
- COGEM abstains from giving advice on the potential risks of incidental consumption since a food/feed assessment is carried out by other organisations.